Thursday, November 12, 2009

What even Roland Emmerich won't destroy: an Islamic landmark

source

http://www.wallpaperez.net/wallpaper/movie/2012-1944.jpg


The White House
2012_JFK_WhiteHouse.jpg

The Sistine Chapel in the Vatican
2012_sistine_rome.jpg

St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican
2012_Peter_rome.jpg

Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro
2012_Christ_rio.jpg

The one that got away
2012_Kaaba_mecca.jpg

For "2012," Emmerich set his sites on destroying the some biggest landmarks around the world, from Rome to Rio. But there's one place that Emmerich wanted to demolish but didn't: the Kaaba, the cube-shaped structure located in the center of Mecca. It's the focus of prayers and the site of the Hajj, the biggest, most important pilgrimage in Islam.

"Well, I wanted to do that, I have to admit," Emmerich says. "But my co-writer Harald said I will not have a fatwa on my head because of a movie. And he was right. We have to all .. in the Western world .. think about this. You can actually .. let .. Christian symbols fall apart, but if you would do this with [an] Arab symbol, you would have .. a fatwa, and that sounds a little bit like what the state of this world is. So it's just something which I kind of didn't [think] was [an] important element, anyway, in the film, so I kind of left it out."

No comments: